Re: "Programming error" message

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: "Programming error" message
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:24:33 -0600

On 2010-02-27, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

I don't see any non-ASCII characters in my file. Oh, I take that back now that I scrutinize closer... I have © in the input file. Well, that's easy to get rid of. And doing so eliminates the glyph complaint from Lilypond.
 Wow, eight or so complaints from one character!

Any chance to add to the warning message a few words like

  This error most likely happens if you are using the wrong input
  encoding.  Are you using UTF-8 encoding for your input file?

IMHO there are too many questions on this list w.r.t. this warning
message.

I neglected to mention that in recent 2.13 versions, the warning
messages for invalid character encoding look like this:

(process:1375): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

These warnings are generated by Pango.

Is this an improvement?

I haven't used 2.13 yet but I think that would be an improvement. It's nice when the error warnings provide interpretable information to the end user; usually these are written to be understandable just by the developers.