About Timing_translator

From: Philippe Hezaine
Subject: About Timing_translator
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 11:31:22 +0100

Hi,

In the Gigsaw's process I use Timing_translator in midi block like this:

  \midi {
    \context {
      \Score
 %%%%%%%    \remove "Timing_translator"
      tempoWholesPerMinute = #(ly:make-moment 100 4)
             }

    \context { \Staff
        \consists "Timing_translator"
             }

    \context { \DrumStaff
        \consists "Timing_translator"

and use midicomp to get the specific midi file. I've made a lot of tests
with different time signature and unimaginable polymetric score and I
*always* see the time signature to be 4/4 18 8 in midicomp's header,
whatever I write in MY-SONG.ly. I'm more than very interested in this
information. I'm feeling the Lily's math calculation in this case are
*always* processed from a quarter note within a 4/4. I mean in this case
Lilypond digests all the math with a 'concatenation' when it outputs
midi file. (I hope you understand me). Logical, nifty... GNU...
basically! Is someone can definitively confirm this impression? Or
points me on a deeper source? I'd want to avoid a bad surprise later.
Thanks.
--
  Phil.