Re: hairpin on a single note

From: Mika Kuuskankare
Subject: Re: hairpin on a single note
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 12:10:12 +0200

On 5.3.2010, at 3:14, craigbakalian wrote:

>> I'd like to notate a crescendo on a single note or chord, ie, c4\<\!
>> which by design does not seem to work.
>> Is there an easier way of doing that than using spacer rests?
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Mika Kuuskankare
>
> The easiest way to do this is c4 \expressivo
>
> but you may not like the results, then you have to use spacer rests.
>
> Craig Bakalian

Yes, it's not quite what I'm after. This is what I could come up with:

%%%%%%% SNIPPET STARTS %%%%%
scresc = #(define-music-function (parser location startDyn endDyn) (string?
string?)
                        (make-music
                         'TextScriptEvent
                         'direction
                         -1
                         'text
                         (markup
                          #:line
                          (#:dynamic
                           startDyn "    "
                           #:postscript
                           "-3.5 0.5 moveto 0.0 1.0 lineto stroke -3.5 0.5
moveto 0.0 0.0 lineto stroke"
                           #:dynamic
                           endDyn))))

{
\textLengthOn
\scresc "pppp" "ffffff"
< c'' e g>1
\textLengthOff

\textLengthOn \scresc "fp" "fz" g2 ^"Questo pezzo si deve trattare..."
\textLengthOff

r2

c1\< g2\!
}
%%%%%%% SNIPPET ENDS %%%%%%

It almost there and I could even live with this. The only setback is that I
need to use \textLengthOn/Off to get the spacing right and while this is not
maybe a big problem there could be situations like in the measure 2....

Could one of the Scheme people tell me if there's a way of doing this more
intelligently? Like, requesting the extent of the note and fitting the
expression in that space, maybe with the possibility of defining a minimum
extent?

best,

Mika Kuuskankare