Expressive Notation Package (ENP)

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Expressive Notation Package (ENP)
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:56:53 +0200

Hello all,

While browsing I came across the following article:

Kuuskankare, M (2009) ENP: a system for contemporary music notation.
Contemporary Music Review 28(2): 221--235
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07494460903322505

It's about a system developed at the Sibelius Academy and dedicated to
the production of advanced contemporary notation, including LISP-esque
syntax for extensibility.  It expressly cites Lilypond's approach as an
inspiration.

It has a number of interesting features, including real time-based
proportional notation and extensive possibilities for graphical notation.

Its syntax looks a lot less friendly than Lilypond's and I suspect it is
less clever in some ways (e.g. the pitch notation looks like it's just
seeing each semitone pitch as a unique number -- maybe a MIDI pitch?).
But it's interesting to see that Lilypond is proving influential among
the mainstream commercial notation software providers ...

Best wishes,

    -- Joe