Re: Expressive Notation Package (ENP)

From: Mika Kuuskankare
Subject: Re: Expressive Notation Package (ENP)
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 20:51:50 +0300

Dear all,

I thought I'd chime in since I'm the author of the program discussed in this
thread.

I started to work with ENP already in the early 90's. The idea at the time was
to update the music notational capabilities of a visual programming language
called PatchWork. So, ENP, at first, existed as a PW user-library. Together
with my colleague Mikael Laurson we started in the late 90's to work on a
successor of PW, called PWGL.

Currently, ENP exists as an integral part of PWGL. Since 2006, PWGL has been
publicly available free of charge. PWGL--along with ENP--is hardly commercial
let alone mainstream. For those who do not know this, our "company" the
Sibelius Academy is Finland's national university of music.

The primary focus of ENP is in compositional and music analytical applications
and in virtual instrument control. Typesetting music is not the primary aim of
ENP although it is designed to produce automatic, reasonable musical
typesetting. Furthermore, unlike lilypond, ENP has a GUI and it is not by
default text based, although the scores can be represented in a Lisp(y) format
which, in turn, allows us to manipulate and generate music in a visual patch.
We also use ENP to control several physical instrument models we have
developed, examples of which can be found in our home page... so, all in all I
think the goals of lilypond and ENP are somewhat different.

I wouldn't say that lilypond was the inspiration for ENP and ENP certainly does
not use lilypond to do the typesetting. Nevertheless, I have the deepest
respect towards lilypond and towards its creators and maintainers as I know
from personal experience how difficult this kind of software can be.
ENP can (or could at least) export to lilypond through a tool called FOMUS
conceived by a fellow named David Psenicka. For my personal compositional
projects I have created a more 'native' tool that can do all kinds of tricks
thanks to lilypond and its LaTeX inherited goodness :) ... and yes, I'm a big
fan of LaTeX also.

Still, at the end of the day I'm more of a casual user of lilypond. I've
subscribed to this list for a short while now but I've already gotten help from
some of you and find that to be one of the wonderful thing about lilypond.

So, there should be no competition between ENP and lilypond. I've followed the
development of lilypond with great interest and I wish it well but I believe
our objectives will remain different.

In any case, I want to take this opportunity to wish all the best to all the
lilypond users!

Dr. Mika Kuuskankare
Composer, programmer and researcher
www.siba.fi/PWGL