repeat bar at the beginning of a piece

From: Steve Tarr
Subject: repeat bar at the beginning of a piece
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 00:44:38 -0700

I'm working with 2.13.20, trying to reproduce a piece of shape-note music that has a 4-dot (with no line) repeat bar at the beginning of the piece.

The snippet titled "Printing a repeat sign at the beginning of a piece" works as described if I use the "|:" bar, but doesn't display the bar if I use ":" (or any other bar style) instead.

What's special about "|:" in this case?  Is there some property I can
override to allow arbitrary bar lines to be displayed at the beginning
of a piece? Or is there something I can change so that ":" will be treated as a repeat bar just as "|:" is?

-Steve Tarr