re: Parenthesis problems

From: Stefan Thomas
Subject: re: Parenthesis problems
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:39:54 +0200

Dear Hillary,
I think I could solve Your problem, but it was a bit intricate.
Maybee there is a more easy solution available.

\version "2.12.2"

\score {
  \relative c'' {
    \clef treble
     \override TextScript  #'extra-offset = #'(-1.3 . 4.5)
    \teeny  ces -\markup { \musicglyph #"accidentals.leftparen"  }
    s32  -\markup { \musicglyph #"accidentals.rightparen"  } c4*7/8

Many thanks to the people who explained how to set the size of
parentheses independently of the notes within them. Alas, this brings
new problems, illustrated by this code snippet.

\score {
  \relative c'' {
    \clef treble
    \parenthesize ces \parenthesize c! \parenthesize cis s
    \override ParenthesesItem #'font-size = #5
    \teeny \parenthesize ces \parenthesize c! \parenthesize cis

The second bar (the line starting \teeny) puts large, clear parentheses
around small notes, but the opening parenthesis collides with the notes'
accidentals.

Is it possible to build up the required [large open parenthesis + small
accidental + small note + large close parenthesis] from individual glyphs?