Re: Export to image with semantic information

From: Stuart Pullinger
Subject: Re: Export to image with semantic information
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 16:31:23 +0100

> I do not want to add the complexity of a whole music notation program to the
> project, so I am looking for (for example) a SVG output, which also puts
> additional semantic information into the symbols (for example, annotate a
> notehead symbol with "<semantic measure="3" beat="3/4" staff="2"/>").
>
> Is there already any possibility in Lilypond to do something like this or do
> you have another suggestion?

Lilypond cannot currently do this. To add this feature would require
quite a lot of work. If you want to do some scheme coding, start at
scm/output-svg.scm in the lilypond source and work back from there.

I tried to add something similar to Lilypond a while ago but didn't get
very far. Since then, the SVG output has been changed and improved so I
wouldn't know how to go about it now.

I would be interested in any progress made in this area or any
alternatives that I might not be aware of.

Stuart

PS. One hack that I worked on was to use lilypond's clickable noteheads
option to point from the output file to lilypond code in the source file.
If you put each note on it's own line you can put whatever machine-readable
semantic information you like in a comment on the same line.