Re: Possible bug in lyrics mode

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Possible bug in lyrics mode
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:10:15 -0700

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Alexander Kobel <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2010-07-13 16:48, Arle Lommel wrote:

Line height for lyrics (at least in 2.13.24) is determined by the
postscript bounding box for the characters in the line (or at least
that's what it seems), *not* the em-square, which is the basic unit
for almost all typographic measurements. This means that if a line
has no descenders (j, p, or y), it loses height at the bottom [...]
Similarly, if the line contains no ascenders [...], the spacing

between lines is figured from the x-height of the text rather than
the cap height. [...]
I would argue that the layout engine should work based on the
em-square of the font, which would result in consistent and
predictable spacing. The way it is in 2.13.24 though is essentially
unpredictable since you can’t know what the output is unless you know
in advance what the lyrics text will be.

[still not on -bug for the moment]

+1, though the workaround by specifying VerticalAxisGroup 'inter-loose-line-spacing 'minimum-distance is easy and straightforward once you know it.  There also was a discussion about the optimal value on the LilyPond-devel mailing list a few months ago: <http://old.nabble.com/%28bug-%29-irregular-lyrics-distance-in-2.13.10-td27145106.html>.  Not sure though whether Joe pushed the value of 3.2 we seemed to agree on.  Joe?

Sorry, I had forgotten about this. Actually, the nabble page doesn't seem to show the whole thread, in which preferences ranged from 2.5 to 3.2. In order to head off a potential bikeshedding, I'm just going to push 2.8 and be done with it.

Cheers,
Joe