Re: Merge/Condense vocal parts arbitrarily, on a per-'master staff' basi

From: Jeff Epstein
Subject: Re: Merge/Condense vocal parts arbitrarily, on a per-'master staff' basis
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 17:43:15 +0000 (UTC)

Thank you for the helpful information, Kieren. I will look carefully at
the polyphony documentation.

I think my question came across differently than I intended. What I
want is NOT for LilyPond to programmatically determine the best
layout for each system. Rather, *I* want to tell Lily Pond that,
–
- On system one, each part should be on their own staff
–- On system two
--- Top staff: soprano 1 and 2
--- Middle staff: alto 1 and 2
--- Bottom staff: tenor by itself
–- On system three
--- Top staff: soprano 2 by itself
--- Middle staff: soprano 1, alto 1 and alto 2
--- Bottom staff: tenor

...and so on. By "arbitrary", I mean that what *I* decide for each staff,
from LilyPond's point of view, has no rhyme or reason.

I don't know if this changes your answer.

(I'm thinking that each system could be a different LilyPond piece,
and I would merge them visually, so it looks like one piece when I
ultimately print it. Not sure if that's feasible, but it's the first thing that
hits me.)

Thanks again.