Re: Replies to the list

From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: Re: Replies to the list
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 10:37:06 -0700

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 14:22:07 +0200, Gilles Sadowski
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Maybe another, non-technical, viewpoint.
> I think that, out of respect for those people who are on the list, someone
> who intends to ask for help from them, should have made the (little) effort
> of subscribing.

Hi Gilles,

I can't decide whether or not you're being respectful to the list.
Let's see, can you tell me whether or not you're subscribed?
Then I will know.

> Or, if he is not subscribed, he should state it in his
> message, and kindly request that the answer be CC'ed to his email address.

Now that is disrespectful to the mail users. Why not just say
outright, "In case this list is horribly misconfigured, or
else some of you morons like to use some boneheaded reply-only-to-list
function, note that I'm NOT on the mailing list."

The one truly respectful thing to do before popping a question to the
mailing list is to search the archives first to see whether it
has been answered before.