Re: Help Musopen liberate classical music recordings

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Help Musopen liberate classical music recordings
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 18:31:02 +0200

Am Dienstag 07 September 2010, um 17:58:04 schrieb Xavier Scheuer:
> Musopen wants your help to hire internationally renowned orchestras
> to record and release the rights to: the Beethoven, Brahms, Sibelius,
> and Tchaikovsky symphonies.

This is a great idea, which I fully support!

The only pitfall is that the recording also needs to be done from a free
edition (i.e. an edition which is no longer under copyright, which means that
every editor died at least 70 years ago for European jurisdictions, or that
the score was published before 1923 if U.S. law is applicable). Otherwise the
recordings could still not be shared freely, as the editor has still copyright
on the edition!
The guys over at IMSLP identified some of the projected recordings where the
underlying edition is not yet free. For more details, see the IMSLP forums
(http://www.imslpforums.org/ ).

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * Edition Kainhofer Music Publishing, http://www.edition-kainhofer.com/