Re: LilyPondTool users on Mac?

From: Seth Williamson
Subject: Re: LilyPondTool users on Mac?
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 14:38:11 -0400

First, I want to thank everybody who is trying to help a noob such as myself with this problem.  You guys are great.

To answer Brett's question, JEdit is 4.3.2.  LilyPondTool is 2.12.894.

Below, I copy a note I sent off-list to another potential savior explaining the latest problem.  If anybody on the list can help me with this and help me get the freaking program going, I would be eternally grateful.

James Bailey said he uses the command line.  James, I assume you can do that in Snow Leopard?  The only reason I've been trying to run LilyPond with JEdit and LilyPondTool is that a friend of mine uses that combination (albeit from a Vista installation), and he loves the way he gets instant feedback on what his code actually looks like.  I'd like to do that if I can.  Do you find that you can get a visual confirmation of what you're doing via the command line frequently enough for what you need?

At any rate, here is the note describing my most recent trouble:

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

QUOTE:

Well, I think my original problems were due to the fact that a previous install had forced Lilypond.app to rename itself to LilyPond 2.app.

I nuked the older version and reinstalled.

However, now I have a DIFFERENT problem.

I try to get LilyPond to process code from within JEdit and LilyPondTool, and I get this error:

Error running external command
See the activity log about the problem
Cannot run program "/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond" (in directory "/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin"): error=13, Permission denied

I don't get this.  I'm the only user of my MacBook, not counting a test account with almost no privileges I created.

If the main user doesn't have permission to use the program, what the hell is going on?

If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Seth