Re: duplicate dynamics on same staff

From: James Wilkinson
Subject: Re: duplicate dynamics on same staff
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:11:58 -0400

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 00:00:07 +0200
From: "Vicente Solsona" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden, "James Wilkinson" <address@hidden>

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 22:19:05 +0200, James Wilkinson <address@hidden>
wrote:
> > \version 2.13.31
> >

> > When I put two voices on the same staff that have identical markings
> > for dynamics and tempo, Lilypond prints them both, one above the
> > other.
[...]
> > Back to my original question: if Lilypond can see that one of these
> > things needs to be moved, how hard  would it be to have it determine
> > that they are identical and just not print one of them?

if the dynamics are the same, it's better to write them just once. thus
you:

1) save typing

Yes, if I were just starting, I would save typing. This time I didn't discover this problem until I already had it done the other way, so it's just going to be extra work. Yeah, I know I'm whining about the hour it's going to take,:( but then I'm retired :) so I have the hour available. Still it seems like an obvious thing for Lilypond to do even though it won't help me this time. Now that I know the right way to do this, it won't help me in the future either, unless I forget, which can't be ruled out at my age. :( :(

2) help lilypond so it does't need to waste time guessing obvious things
and it can concentrate on the big stuff  :)

I prefer to let Lilypond take care of the obvious things so I can concentrate on the big stuff. I mean, do you understand just how out of hand the national debt has gotten? :)

<soapbox> One of the things I've learned in 40 years of messing with computers is that it's never a good idea to make the human accommodate the machine. </soapbox>

Sweat not; I'll be fine. I know you guys are covered up with work,  and I appreciate what you're doing.

The snippet you sent is much the same as what I was looking for and couldn't find. Thanks

Jimmy Wilkinson            | Professor Emeritus of Computer Science
address@hidden        | The College of Charleston
(843) 953-8160             | Charleston      SC        29424
http://www.cs.cofc.edu/~jimmy

If there is one word to describe me, that word would have to be "profectionist".
Any form of incompitence is an athema to me.
Metathesis??? Don't ax me.
Just between you and I, the grammar used by Americans are getting worse.
I can only help but wonder what the cause of this might be.
It just ceases to amaze me how it could be the case, but mostly I could care less.