Re: Twelve-tone notation

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: Twelve-tone notation
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:34:33 -0700 (PDT)

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>> Looking at the picture, it seems to me the only part
>> which LilyPond doesn't support is the special leger lines
>> below the stave: though the middle C superficially looks
>> like a G, it's positioned as if it were an E, but with
>> the first leger missing (so the leger lines continue the
>> line-positioning pattern outside the stave).
>
> Hauer's invention is the *second* system in the image; the
> lines represent the black keys on a piano keyboard.

Yes, that's what Neil was describing, but I'd like to add
one wrinkle.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it's my understanding
that the wide staff-spaces are not supposed to be twice as
big, but 1.5 times.  So I don't think it's quite the same
dimensions as it would be by Neil's description.  I think
the first C is in the position of a traditional F, but the
ledger lines that would normally cut through what used to be
A and C now cut through what used to be G and B.

Incidentally, an almost identical system is credited to
Walter Steffens on p.32 of Gardner Read's "Music Notation".

>> The custom stave can be created by overriding StaffSymbol
>> #'line-positions, then it's just a matter of mapping the
>> notes to the correct positions with a custom layout
>> function (via staffLineLayoutFunction).
>
> This works even for staves consisting of lines which
> aren't evenly spaced?

Would be fun to see this in action.
- Mark