Re: orchestral template, please comment

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: orchestral template, please comment
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 11:01:39 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith E OHara" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:57 AM
Subject: orchestral template, please comment

Dear orchestral writers,
I don't use LilyPond for orchestral scores very often, which means that I need to refer to the template in Appendix 5.1 of the Learning Manual.

There is one bug with the template, and five other changes that I suggest to help it meet the goals set in its introduction. Would those of you who set orchestral scores please comment on these?

In one or two weeks I plan to put those changes on which there is consensus into the LSR, and ask for approval to incorporate the revised snipped into the docs.
-Keith

1) Remove the outermost \GrandStaff{}
According to the Internals Reference, GrandStaff does not accept any of the StaffGroup/RhythmicStaff/ChoirStaff contexts that were placed inside it. A new Staff (which _is_ accepted in GrandStaff) inserted into the current template will appear at the very top of the printed score, regardless of where it lay in the input.

Someone had already made this change in an unapproved snippet. I've now approved it and it is the new version of the snippet, so this no longer needs doing.

--
Phil Holmes