Re: Problems with segnos and codas

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Problems with segnos and codas
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 18:23:29 +0200

On 5 October 2010 13:32, Tim Rowe <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have a coda immediately following a D.S., and have tried to mark it
> up as follows:
>  <fis a c>
>    \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility = #begin-of-line-invisible
>    \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #RIGHT
>    \mark \markup {"D.S " \musicglyph #"scripts.segno"}
>    \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility = #begin-of-line-invisible
>    \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT
>    \mark \markup {\musicglyph #"scripts.coda" "Coda "} |
>  g2 r2 |
> (To be honest, they're just magic incantations I god from snippets,
> and I have no real understanding of what they're doing).
>
> That has two problems. The most significant is that it doesn't work at
> all -- I get a warning that there are two simultaneous mark events,
> and it junks the second, so I don't get the coda mark.
>
> The one that you can't tell from the little bit that I've included
> there is that the starting g of the coda should be tied over from the
> "to coda" bar, so it should have a tie going into it.
>
> Where am I going wrong? Is there an easy way to fix these problems?

Yes, indeed, this is a really annoying issue.
This kind of "LilyPond limitation" make me feel upset sometimes.

The only real workaround that I found is LSR #575
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=575

Unfortunately this is really a _dirty_ workaround.
I hope that further LilyPond improvements (like the use of #anchor) would
help handle far better this kind of situations.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-07/msg00544.html

Cheers,
Xavier

--