Re: Completion_heads_engraver and \noBreak

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Completion_heads_engraver and \noBreak
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 14:55:31 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "ornello" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 9:38 AM
Subject: Completion_heads_engraver and \noBreak

The \noBreak command seems not to work with automatically tied notes when
using the Completion_heads_engraver.

In the example below, two line breaks are produced although I added \noBreak
after each note. When removing the Completion_heads_engraver or the first
quarter note, everything works as desired, i.e. all notes are put into one
line.

Is this a bug or am I missing something? Is there another way to avoid line
breaks with automatically tied notes?

Thanks for any help...

-------------------

\version "2.12.3"

\layout {
\context {
\Voice
\remove "Note_heads_engraver"
\consists "Completion_heads_engraver"

{
c4
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
c1 \noBreak
}

I know you posted this a while ago, but I don't believe you ever got an answer.

I don't _know_ the answer to your question, but I would think that it's because your \noBreak commands are now not in the same place as the bar lines, since you are asking LilyPond to split the whole notes into a dotted minim and a crotchet, and the break occurs after the dotted minim rather than after the crotchet, which is where the \noBreak is.

If you want to prevent breaks at all, you can use the line

   \override NonMusicalPaperColumn #'line-break-permission = ##f

as in the example below. Note that I've also shortened the music to prevent it running off the edge of the page. If you want to make the music longer, you can add a \break in the appropriate place.

\version "2.12.3"

\layout {
\context {
\Voice
\remove "Note_heads_engraver"
\consists "Completion_heads_engraver"
\score {
 \new Score \with {
   \override NonMusicalPaperColumn #'line-break-permission = ##f
 }
 {
   c4
   c1