Re: Chords below staff

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: Chords below staff
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 07:23:43 +0200

On Oct 15, 2010, at 6:04 AM, Colin Campbell wrote:

> I got the attached .PDF Seems to me that four times a whole note should
> take up more bars than one, or at least look a whole (!) lot different
> than the note to the left, IIUC it should be a longa, as in the second
> staff.

You may want to re-read the section on scaling durations. Math is used to force
lilypond to make a note take up the mathematically appropriate amount of time
and space using the note duration you specify. So c4*x will always produce a
quarter note whose horizontal space takes up the value specified by x.
Accordingly, c1*4 produces a whole note whose horizontal space is equivalent to
4 whole notes, which is exactly what you get.