Re: MIDI playback lacks polyphony

From: Jan Warchoł
Subject: Re: MIDI playback lacks polyphony
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 17:05:02 +0200

2010/10/21 Javier Ruiz-Alma <address@hidden>
Hello Dear Gurus,
Lilypond is correctly engraving this score in .pdf, which has some sections of single-staff polyphony.  However, the MIDI playback on my PC plays one voice only.  I'm ignorant to where the problem is.   Is my lilypond syntax incorrect?  Is my PC (Win7/WMP10) not able to play multivoice MIDI? Is lilypond not adding the 2nd voice to the MIDI file?  Thank You, Javier

I'm no guru, but i found some clue: it's not so simple as you write, there is more than one voice played in MIDI (at least in my MIDI).
For example in measure 4 (when time changes to 2/4) notes bes,16 des16 from upper voice are played. Looks like only the notes that are "repeated" are lost (i.e. in measure 4 there is still ees2 from lower voice sounding while ees8 in upper voice appears, and this ees from upper voice is missing).
I remember i saw (err... heard) something like this in finale playback. Maybe such things are impossible for MIDI to understand, and you would have to cut the duration of lower voice notes explicitly for this to work?
I hope that someone wiser than me will find out the final solution :)
cheers,
Jan