Re: Triple b or # - do they exist?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Triple b or # - do they exist?
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 18:46:15 +0200

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 3:55 PM, David Nalesnik <address@hidden> wrote:
> The Wikipedia article on Alkan mentions an F triple-sharp in one of his
> pieces, and you can see it in the musical extract given (along with a lot of
> other crazy spellings).
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles-Valentin_Alkan

<class="off-topic" mode="troll">
On the other hand, does this really qualify as music? :-)

I remember a remark that the director of my conservatory once made.
A professor whom nobody really liked had just organized an "Alkan
Festival" (the only one in the world, I think), and people had been
playing Alkan's "works" for hours all week long.
Shortly after that, one morning I was having a chat with the director
in the lobby, and for some reason I began talking about Edvard Grieg,
and how interesting, talented and yet little-known a composer he was.
The director agreed:

-- Indeed. There are many little wonders amongst his works, but
somehow he isn't remembered as one of the "Great" composers.

He thought about that for a few seconds, then he elaborated on that:

-- It may be because you'll hardly find huge, towering scores in
Grieg's repertoire: he was a great composer, but who mostly wrote
small pieces.

Then he stood still for a while, and he quietly added:
-- Well, it's the opposite of Alkan, really.

Cheers,
Valentin

PS (Yes,  I do hold a grudge against Alkan, partly because he was
named like me, partly because his music sucks, partly because he was
just an ass.)