Re: NoteNames and alternative note names

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: NoteNames and alternative note names
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 00:45:48 +0200

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Nick Payne
<address@hidden> wrote:
> But not Lilyputians?

Nice. (attached)

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 7:24 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> Just for the record: I know there's someone lurking here who knows more
> about Balinese music, a huge lot more about music in general and
> a sizeable bit more about Scheme than me. So may be we have more help?

That's up to you. All I hope is that we'll manage to implement it eventually!

We can regroup the different definitions in a common file; maybe we
could first define a base "language", and then add several definitions
for optional supersets (five-steps or seven-steps scales, etc.) over
this base. LilyPond easily supports note names, special modes, and
even non-standard intervals!

> May be a change in name is in order: Javanese orchestra calls itself
> gaamelan as well (and has seven tones to the octave instead of the
> Balinese five).

OK; looking forward to hearing from you guys! If you're serious about
that, I'll open a tracker page for Balinese support, in order to keep
track of this feature implementation.

Cheers!
Valentin.