Re: voice sharing the same note on different staves

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: voice sharing the same note on different staves
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 11:19:37 +0100

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> It might be argued on that grounds that German note names should be
> canonical: I know of no other note name language that has been employed
> similarly for silly acronyms and word games.

Ravel isn't consistent in this regard:
in this piece, "H" means plain b
http://imslp.org/wiki/Menuet_sur_le_nom_d%27Haydn_%28Ravel,_Maurice%29
in this other piece, "B" means plain b
http://imslp.org/wiki/Berceuse_sur_le_nom_de_Gabriel_Faur%C3%A9_%28Ravel,_Maurice%29

> Well, almost.  When writing ut queant laxis
> <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ut_queant_laxis>, French note names
> would be more appropriate.  Oh, we don't have them.  The Italian note
> names use "do" rather than "ut".  I have a Swiss accordion score from
> 1933 here, and it uses "ut" throughout.  Maybe it's just Swiss French,
> or obsolete Swiss French.

I don't know about Swiss French, but here in France we rarely use "ut"
at all; it is merely used by snobbish people when referring to a
piece's tonality: "Sonate en Ut Majeur" (but regular people will just
say "Do Majeur").

Cheers,
Valentin.