Re: question on \transpose

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: question on \transpose
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 19:46:11 -0600

On Nov 20, 2010, at 2:33 PM, MING TSANG wrote:

How can I specifiy key minor or key major in transpose?
Is it possible \transpose from f major to b flat minor? How to code in \transpose?

I don't believe this is possible in Lilypond, at least using the \transposition command. If it is possible, it'd be a nifty feature. Changing from a major key to a minor key is a reharmonization rather than a transposition.

I put \transpose f bflat minor and I get syntax error.

Yes, you would. Unless you are using \include for the non-default language convention (Dutch, in which flat notes are written with a - es added [such as bes for Bb] and sharp notes are written -is [such as ais for A#]), you would write:

\transpose f bes {a4 b4 c4 d4 etc.} which would result in a new chart in B flat major.

If you search the docs for \transpose, this is all explained.