Re: Unexpected \markup behavior

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Unexpected \markup behavior
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 23:01:04 -0700

On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 10:46 -0500, Ralph Palmer wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> I'm running 2.12.3 under a slightly older version of Ubuntu.
>
> The recent spanBar collision discussion came at a good time for me. I
> was able to solve a collision of my own. However, I can't seem to
> figure out how to get "mf, espr." to behave the way "meno f" does.
> Here's a minimal example:
>
> %%%%%%%%%% Begin Snippet %%%%%%%%%%%
>
> \version "2.12.3"
>
> A =
> \relative c' {
>   \key c \major
>   \clef treble
>   \time 4/4
>
> % Works as expected:
>   c'4 c c c |
>   d4_\markup {
>     \halign #0.5 {
>       \whiteout \pad-markup #0.5 {
>     \italic {"meno "} \dynamic {f}
>       }
>     }
>   }
>   d d d |
>
> % Why doesn't this work?
>   c4 c c c |
>   d4_\markup {
>     \halign #0.5 {
>       \whiteout \pad-markup #0.5 {
>     \dynamic {f} \italic {"meno "}
>       }
>     }
>   }
>   d d d |
> }
>
> B=
> \relative c' {
>   \key c \major
>   \clef treble
>   \time 4/4
>
>   d'4 d d d |
>   e4 e e e |
>   d4 d d d |
>   c4 c c c |
> }
>
> \score {
>   \new StaffGroup <<
>     \new Staff << \A >>
>     \new Staff << \B >>
>   >>
> }
> \layout {}
>
> %%%%%%%%% End Snippet %%%%%%%%5
>
> I'm attaching a .pdf of the output. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing
> wrong, or steer me in the right direction?
>
> Pondly,
>
> Ralph

In your second case, the \dynamic is attached to the d, then
over-written by the "meno" in the markup. This seems to be expected
behaviour.  Can you give me a bit more information on why your second
case is unexpected?

Colin Campbell
Bug Squad
--
Another Month Ends: All Targets Met All Systems Working All Customers
Satisfied All Staff Eager and Enthusiastic All Pigs Fed and Ready to fly