The best way to structure multi-file projects?

From: Frank Steinmetzger
Subject: The best way to structure multi-file projects?
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 01:00:24 +0100

Hello list

Triggered by my recent problem with a strange notion of Lilypond, due to which

it seems to prefer an even number of pages for a score in a multi-score

work, I wanted to try and fix that in another document of mine.

This work (namely Bach’s Mass in B minor, BWV 232) has 27 pieces, hence I wanted to make it as easy as possible to work on single pieces at a time, but also to compile the whole thing.

So, of course, each piece is in an own file again. But this time, I wanted to

have everything that is needed to load a piece in one single line (so they can be switched on and off the easiest).

As a result, the piece files now contain the entire score block, plus variable

definitions for all staves and lyrics to be used within the \score. However

there is one problem - I can't use this approach with bookparts, because I can't define variables within a bookpart (I get unknown string error). The obvious solution to this would be of course to not use variables, but write everything into the \score directly. This has at least the problem of having to duplicate parts that are common to all staves.

But still, I am curious: how do you structure your bigger projects (both in

terms of physical files as well as logical structure) in order to remain

flexible in case you decide to change something globally? I'm only producing

choir sheets, so I have no need for separate versions of the files like instrument parts.

I attached one piece and the main file, adapted to be a working minimal

example. ;-)

--

Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'

Kids in the back seat cause accidents. Accidents in the backseat cause kids.