Re: Accidental and clef change issue

From: Michael Ellis
Subject: Re: Accidental and clef change issue
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 16:28:44 -0500

The Dover Edition of the Beethoven Sonatas, a reproduction of the 1923 Universal Edition (H. Schenker, ed.) has the attached in opus 27, no 2, second movement (Presto Agitato) mm 54,55.

In the left hand of mm 54, the clef changes 4 times (bass, treble, bass, treble).  The movement is in E major. There is a natural sign on the A immediately after the clef change.  It's not clear, though, whether it's there to cancel the sharp on the space (implied by the preceding C-sharp in the bass clef) or whether it's simply a courtesy accidental that corresponds to the one in the right hand.  I think it's most likely the latter.

Not sure how relevant this is to the original question.

Cheers,
Mike

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> wrote:
Am Dienstag, 28. Dezember 2010, um 15:14:05 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> writes:
> > I would be great, though, if anyone can find a published example of such
> > a situation (most likely in e.g. cello/bassoon parts/scores, which
> > frequently switch between bass and tenor clef).
>
> Edition Peters, piano excerpt by Brissler from Mozart Requiem,
> "Confutatis".  The g in the corni di bassotto entry is not even in the
> same octave, and still gets a natural.

Also, in the Bärenreiter piano reduction of Bach's Christmas oratorio, measure
7 of the Choral Nr. 23 ("Wir singen dir"), p.72 of Bärenreiter BA 5014a.

There is a dis' in treble clef, followed by a d in bass clef. That d gets a
natural cancellation.

Cheers,
Reinhold