Re: A small but vexing problem

From: Michael Ellis
Subject: Re: A small but vexing problem
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 16:06:35 -0500

Thanks, James. It's not quite what I need but you have the right idea.

Since posting the problem, I've worked out the following that seems to
give me most of what I want:

if I have, say, voices ASvoiceAA with the fermatas and AAvoiceBA
without as shown below

-----------------------------------
ASvoiceAA = \relative c'{
    \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Soprano"
    \clef treble
    \key f \major
    \time 4/4
    \partial 4
    d4     f g a\fermata  bes      | % 1
    a g c bes      | % 2
    a2\fermata  r4 d      | % 3
}% end of last bar in partorvoice

AAvoiceBA = \relative c'{
    \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Alto"
    \clef treble
    \key f \major
    \time 4/4
    \partial 4
    { d4     a8 f'4 e8 f4 d8 e      | % 1
    fis4 g~ g8 a~ a g      | % 2
    fis2 r4 bes~      | % 3
    }
}% end of last bar in partorvoice

then,  I can use quoting like so

\addQuote "articulations"   { \ASvoiceAA }
AAquoteBA = {
    \set Score.quotedEventTypes = #'(articulation-event)
    <<
    {\quoteDuring #"articulations" { s1*3 } }
    \AAvoiceBA

and use \AAquoteBA in my score to produce the result shown in the
attachment.  Now I think it's a matter of automating that in my script
that generates all the files from the sources.

One small problem remains: how to automatically determine the value of
the spacer rests in the final argument to \quoteDuring.  Is there an
existing music function that will do that or, if not, how might I go
about writing one?

Cheers,
Mike