Re: ottava bassa

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: ottava bassa
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 06:35:29 +0000 (UTC)

> in the piano part of an ensemble piece i need (want, that is) to put
> an ottava bassa indication that applies only to the lower chord in the
> left hand. the problem is that at the same time a loco chord is tied
> above it (see the attached image).

This is awkward, because Lilypond applies the ottava to all the notes on the
staff.

This situation is similar to the problem of a pedal note, see <http://
lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=326> so I suggest you adapt that method.
After starting the 8vb bracket, tell Lilypond to engrave as if middle C was 6
steps above the centerline of the staff (that is, the normal position for
middle
C on the bass cleff). Then you enter the low notes one octave higher than they
sound.

  << {
    \clef bass
    <fis cis' g'>1  ~ | <fis cis' g'>4