Re: function looksSlower from LSR produces many warnings

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: function looksSlower from LSR produces many warnings
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 16:34:14 -0700

On 1/11/11 11:30 AM, "Marc M" <address@hidden> wrote:

> As a matter of fact, I get the same warnings without the function but with
> \stemUp with the code:
> \version "2.13.45"
> \language "english"
> \score {
>   \relative g' {
>     << { \stemUp g, }
>     \\ { \stemUp d' }
>     \\ { \stemUp b' }
>     \\ { \stemUp g' } >>
>   }
> }
>
> Not clear why because the music looks ok.

Because you have four different voices that are all trying to share the same
space.  This means they collide.  In this particular instance, the collision
is not a problem; it's the desired behavior.

> it's also not clear why \stemUp is necessary with voices while the stems are
> in the right direction when we just print a chord:
> \version "2.13.45"
> \language "english"
> \score {
>   \relative g' {
>     <g, d' b' g'>4
>   }
> }

Because the chord is in a single voice, which has a given stem direction.

When you do the parallel music, instead of the chord, you create *four*
voices.  And normally we like to distinguish between voices, so we want the
stems to be different.

Please see the Learning Manual, section 3.2.1, for more explanation on this
subject.  You really need to understand this concept to use LilyPond
effectively for complex music.

HTH,

Carl