Re: do narrow and bold-narrow font-series exist? How can i squish Lyrics

From: Robert Stoddard
Subject: Re: do narrow and bold-narrow font-series exist? How can i squish Lyrics horizontally?
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 06:57:14 -0500

AH, very slick.  Yes, that does the trick.  Thank you!

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 5:10 AM, Jan Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:
2011/1/14 Robert Stoddard <address@hidden>:
> The typesetting term for this is "kerning" -- modifying the space between
> letters.  A valuable tool in text setting.
> Long ago Adobe sold fonts that were continuously variable, i.e. you could
> "dial in" any degree of bold or italic.  I don't recall, though, that even
> those fonts had a "narrow" option.
> In tight lyric situations, I have had to resort to one or both of two
> tricks:
> 1. Change the point-size of the lyric font.
> 2. Underlay lyrics using _\markup commands.  While this loses the exact
> note-by-note underlay, it can be used to good effect to borrow extra space
> from words in a phrase.

Do you mean something like in the attachment?
I'm acheving this by using lyrics and shifting syllabes with LyricText
#'self-alignment-X.
I use a set of custom commands defined like this:
right = { \once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #-0.8 }
righty = { \once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #-0.6 }
rightyy = { \once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #-0.4 }
left = { \once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #0.8 }
lefty = { \once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #0.6 }
leftyy = { \once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #0.4 }
and then write in lyrics:
Be -- hold \lefty the \righty Lamb of \rightyy God!
Works quite well.

cheers,
Janek