Re: Using lyrics in a markup

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: Using lyrics in a markup
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:18:44 +0100

> What do you think of allowing to define a additional "line break character",
> for example ¶, which could be filtered out within \lyricsmode, and used as a
> newline in the \verse?
Thats a good idea!
> So your input will look like
> \override Lyrics #'ignore-chars= #'(¶) % this is pseudo code!
Lets dive into the lily-code and search for oppertunities!
> strI = \lyricmode
> {
>  \set stanza = "1."
>  Toch -- ter Zi -- on, freu -- e dich,¶jauch -- ze laut,
>  Je -- ru -- sa -- lem.¶Sieh, __ dein Kö -- nig kommt zu dir,¶
>  ja, __ er kommt, der Frie -- de -- fürst.¶Toch -- ter Zi -- on,
>  freu -- e dich,¶  jauch -- ze laut, Je -- ru -- sa -- lem.
> }
>
> and the output is as expected?
>
> I don't know how easy such an implemantation would be,
me neither ;-)
> but giving a
> list of characters to ignore and filter then out in Lyrics and using
> this information to rearrange the text would give a lot more flexibility
> to this feature.
This would give also the option of splitting verse-lines with an arbitrary
character. In our church-hymn-books (Kirchengesangbuch) the verse-lines a
divided by '/'. So the output could look like:
e.g.

Tochter Zion, freue dich, / jauchze laut,
Jerusalem. / Sieh, dein König kommt zu /
dir, / ja, er kommt, der Friedefürst. /
Tochter Zion, freue dich, / jauchze laut,
Jerusalem.

Well I am happy with the solution found by Jakob, you and anybody else who
contributed ;-)
But we should try to find other options ;-)

Best regards,
Jan-Peter