Re: Bug in ties over barlines

From: Jan Warchoł
Subject: Re: Bug in ties over barlines
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 23:27:30 +0100

2011/1/23 Joseph Haig <address@hidden>:
> I have (I believe) found a bug in Lilypond, and I am fairly sure what
> it is, but I would like to check with people who have better knowledge
> of music theory than I before I submit it to the bug list. In the
> following code:
>
>  {
>    \time 4/4
>    aes'1( a')
>    aes'~ aes'
>    aes'( aes')
>  }
>
> I believe that the first and third ties are displayed incorrectly.

They are slurs (the ones made with parentheses). Slurs and ties look
the same, but musically and logically they are quite different.

> Specifically, the first tie should have a natural in front of the
> second note,

Yes, i think that there should be a natural (perhaps parenthesized)
here - to make sure that noone mistakes this slur for a tie.

> and the third tie should not have a flat in front of the
> second note.The second and third ties should be identical, except for
> the type of tie used, while the first one should be different. Am I
> correct?

No, here you are not right in my opinion. There is simply no reason to
put a slur here, you should write aes'~ aes' and not bother with ( ).

cheers,
Janek