How do you tell tempo for indications in English

From: Patrick Horgan
Subject: How do you tell tempo for indications in English
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 20:05:14 -0800

I'm setting some of O'Neill's Irish tunes, and the tempo indications are (a selection):

Animated, Boldly, Cheerful, Cheerfully, Gaily, Gracefully, Moderate,
Plaintive, Plaintively, Playful, Playfully, Rather slow, Slow,
Slow and distinctly, Slow and mournful, Slow and tenderly,
Slow and with feeling, Slow with expression, Slow and feeling,
Spirited, Tenderly, Very slow, With animation, With expression,
With feeling, With spirit

What do you do with that? I can find tables of usual tempo ranges for italian tempo indications, but I have no idea what to do with these. I'd like them to be authentic, in that the midi file would be about as fast as the tune would usually be played in an Irish pub. Does anyone have any ideas?

Patrick