converting from PDF

From: rathcoffey
Subject: converting from PDF
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 15:13:20 +0000 (UTC)

I've been thinking about this for some time.  Finally it dawned on me.

LilyPond processes text statements & produces the music notation in a PDF file.

Why not reverse the process and go from PDF (e.g., scanned in), back to text?

(It's probably a nightmare programming task.)  It might require the scanned image to have alignment marks, and/or be cleaned up in some way.  I think I'd start by developing a program to convert a single line (one staff), like the attached Bouree, which I created with Lily Pond.  I'd begin by focusing on the clef sign and the key signature.  The user might have to indicate what the first note is, or confirm that the program had correctly identified the first note.

Just a thought.

Mike Wogan