Re: engraving question - changing stem direction to avoid levitating slu

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: engraving question - changing stem direction to avoid levitating slur
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 22:51:59 +0100

2011/2/15 Neil Puttock <address@hidden>:
> 2011/2/15 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
>
>> Do you mean simply using \slurDown? I'd say that the result (attached)
>> is indeed a little better, but flipping bes quarter note makes it yet
>> more good-looking.
>
> You might try adding the Melody_engraver for this: it changes the
> neutral-direction based on the stem directions of surrounding notes
> (but only in the current bar, I think)

Good idea!
It would be great to create a similar engraver that would change the
neutral-direction based on the stem directions of surrounding notes,
but only when doing so will improve the shape of the slur.
Maybe i'll try to do this when i'm finished with the stem&flags issue
which i started some time ago.
Speaking of it, would you care to look at "transition between
full-length and shortened stems - please discuss" thread on -devel and
state your opinion? The discussion got somewhat quiet :(
It requires only spending 5 minutes comparing Lily current behaviour
and two possible fixes. All necessary examples are included.

Thanks!
Janek