Re: MF fonts

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: MF fonts
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 07:54:49 -0700

On 2/27/11 4:09 AM, "Tim Sheasby" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions. Will try to compile Emmentaler with a new narrow
> version of the MI but perhaps slightly deeper so it looks big enough.
> Examining an old but beautiful book I have has all notes the same width but
> the Mi seems to extend a tiny bit higher/lower than other notes. Probably for
> optical purposes.
> Otherwise I might take a short cut and redefine the size of the mi using the
> stencil-scale option.

Yet another possibility is to convince the shape-note community that your mi
shape is better.

A scan from your "beautiful" book, coupled with a .png of the current output
and a .png of the output if you just reshape the mi head in the current
Aiken font might be just the ticket.

There is a fasoli yahoo group: http://groups.google.com/group/fasoli

It's a private group, so you'll need to join.

There's also a website: http://www.hosorembo.com/Lily/Lilindex.html

There's a wiki page on shape note aesthetics:
http://wiki.lilynet.net/index.php/Shapenote_notehead_aesthetics

I ended up doing the shape note heads because I knew metafont (actually, I
learned metafont to do the note heads, IIRC).  But I'm not a shape note
singer.  So I'm not the best judge of aesthetics.

Previous discussion on shape note aesthetics can be found at

and

At any rate, I'd love to have your input in making shape note heads right.

Thanks,

Carl