Re: LilyPond 2.13.52

From: Tim Sheasby
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.13.52
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 12:12:41 +0200

Difficult to create a snippet because my template is quite complex. Here is a
screenshot of the problem.

PNG image

Am using vertical spacing commands to get even spacing between the Venda
original and the English italicised translation.

Here is a snippet of the lyrics context I am using:
----------------------------------------8<----------------------------------------

%                       -- Lyrics contexts
%                       -- Verse 1
                        \context Lyrics = wordsA \lyricsto sopranos
                                { \printTxt
                                        \override VerticalAxisGroup
                                                #'nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing =
#'(
                                                        (basic-distance . 2)
                                                        (minimum-distance . 2)
                                                )
                                        \verseOne \verseChorus
                                }
                        \context Lyrics = wordsB \lyricsto sopranos
                                { \printTrans \transOne \transChorus }
%                       -- Verse 2
                        \context Lyrics = wordsC \lyricsto sopranos
                                { \printTxt
                                        \override VerticalAxisGroup
                                                #'nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing =
#'(
                                                        (basic-distance . 2)
                                                        (minimum-distance . 2)
                                                )
                                        \verseTwo
                                }
                        \context Lyrics = wordsD \lyricsto sopranos
                                { \printTrans \transTwo }

----------------------------------------8<----------------------------------------

printTxt and printTrans are variables that set text size and italics and tweaks
the lyrics hyphens to match the font defaults:
----------------------------------------8<----------------------------------------

printTxt = {
        \override LyricText #'font-size = #0
        \override LyricText #'font-shape = #'upright
        \override LyricHyphen #'height = #.5
        \override LyricHyphen #'length = #0.8
        \override LyricHyphen #'minimum-length = #0.35
        \override LyricHyphen #'thickness = #2.5
        \override LyricExtender #'thickness =#2.5
}

printTrans = {
        \override LyricText #'font-size = #-2
        \override LyricText #'font-shape = #'italic
        \override LyricHyphen #'height = #.4
        \override LyricHyphen #'length = #0.8
        \override LyricHyphen #'minimum-length = #0.35
        \override LyricHyphen #'thickness = #2
        \override LyricExtender #'thickness =#2
}

----------------------------------------8<----------------------------------------

and in my layout block I have the following default overrides:
----------------------------------------8<----------------------------------------

\context {
                                \Lyrics
                                \override VerticalAxisGroup
                                        #'nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing = #'(
                                                (basic-distance . 2.5)
                                                (minimum-distance . 2.5)
                                        )
                                \override VerticalAxisGroup
                                        #'nonstaff-unrelatedstaff-spacing
#'padding = #1
                                \override VerticalAxisGroup
                                        #'nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing
#'padding = #1
                        }

Am also using Pango to set the serif font to Times New Roman.

Not a tiny example, I'm sorry, but not sure which of these setting might be
affecting the layout.
Have had no problem with this up to version 2.13.46.
Because I am producing a 200 hymn book most variables are defined in include
files. These are quite complex as I have made a lot of tweaks!