RE: How to do jazz-style bar repeats

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: How to do jazz-style bar repeats
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 12:12:53 +0000

Hello,

)-----Original Message-----
)From: address@hidden
)[mailto:address@hidden On
)Behalf Of Robin Bannister
)Sent: 04 March 2011 10:32
)To: Tim McNamara; lilypond-user lilypond-user
)
)Tim McNamara wrote:
)> I am not sure how to actually use this in a file.
)
)The multimeasure.ly has four sections;
)  the first two are needed to define inlineMMRN,
)  the last two give an example of using \inlineMMRN.
)
)The example I used is a rough skeleton of Blessed Relief, whose last part
)corresponds to your bar-repeats.pdf.
)
)
)So multimeasure.ly is a standalone snippet producing a pdf with
)44 bars of spacer rests (up to rehearsal mark [E]) followed by
)24 bars of inlineMMRN usage (held in the "solos" variable).
)All those 68 bars showed up at the top of your own pdf.
)
)
)You don't need these example sections in your file, just the first two:
)"whiteunder" and "inlineMMRN".
)So either paste in just these two or comment out the last two.
)
)
)Then you have to apply inlineMMRN at each place you want it to be
)active.
)> You ask for a multi-measure rest (big R) and let \inlineMMRN move its
)> count down into the staff.
)
)So for 6 bars of 4/4 time you need R1*6 - like this
)> \inlineMMRN R1*6
)
)
)And for decent horizontal proportions you need to modify #'minimum-
)length.
)

Maybe an email got lost somewhere but the mails I got on this thread jumped
from a 'how do I' to a 'thanks that's really helpful' without anything in
between.

I think whatever the outcome of this 'hack/workaround', will be really useful
on the LilyPond Snippet Repository for other users. So I just didn't want this
to be 'lost'.

James