Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:26:24 +0100

David Santamauro <address@hidden> writes:

> One thing a robot, or any type of computer generated music will never
> replace is the simple gratification of actually playing -- from a
> players perspective.

What a ridiculous criterion.  One thing you or any type of human
generated music (sorry for equating you with music, I am just following
your sentence structure) will never replace is the simple gratification
of actually playing -- from my perspective.

So what?  Either I am interested in the listener's perspective, and of
course I can perfectly well develop that while listening to music
produced by arbitrary means, or in the player's perspective, and then I
have to play.

If my humanity status is different from that of the player, obviously I
am not playing myself.  If it is the same, it still does not in any way
replace my playing itself.

--
David Kastrup