Re: 2.13.54 breaks NoteNames vertical spacing

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: 2.13.54 breaks NoteNames vertical spacing
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:56:39 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith OHara" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:26 AM

Michael Ellis <michael.f.ellis <at> gmail.com> writes:
 In 2.12,  the NoteNames output lays close beneath the lyric line.
In 2.13.54 the gap is quite large and the output collides with
markup above the next staff.  Is there a workaround?

Try
\layout { \context {
 \NoteNames
 \override VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-affinity = #UP
}}

The initialization file (engraver-init.ly) actually says
 % FIXME: not sure what the default should be here.
 \override VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-affinity = #DOWN

So let's set the correct default now. Is there any reason to assume that note- names will most often be associated with the staff above or the staff below ?

If not, we can set staff-affinity to CENTER -- which doesn't really mean center but means get close to a staff on either side. I guess the programmer didn't
think that 'staff-affinity = #PROMISCUOUS  was appropriate.

It definitely works best with staff-affinity UP, where the note names are below the stave. Presumably it would be best with DOWN where they're above. It also is improved with:

\paper {
   system-system-spacing #'padding = #5
}

IIRC, this is all to do with the system spacing not taking account of non-staff grobs? I do think this is likely to cause a number of problems in the future.

--
Phil Holmes