Re: no natural sign when clef changes

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: no natural sign when clef changes
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 22:04:06 +0000

hello

James.

On 31 Mar 2011, at 22:25, "Bernhard Ott" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> IMHO there should be a natural sign showing the f' after the clef-change: am
> I wrong?
>
> music = \relative c' {
>    c8 d e fis
>    c d e f
>    c8 d e fis
>    \clef "alto" c d e f
> }
> \score {
> <<
>        { \new Staff #(set-accidental-style 'modern-cautionary 'Staff)
>        \music
>    }
>    { \new Staff #(set-accidental-style 'default 'Staff)
>        \music
>    }
> >>
> }

hmmm...my Read says nothing but Stone says

"If a clef changes within a measure and the same note occurs before and after
the clef change, the accidental must be repeated."

However were this f an octave higher I'd say no natural (cancellation) is
needed. So is this pitch being judged as higher just because it is 'higher' in
the staff or is it really an octave higher? Otherwise it ought to have a
natural by default.

That's my rather on the fence take :)

James