how does beforebreak work?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: how does beforebreak work?
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 05:25:00 +0100

We have a problem.  The only full-time doc writer/editor isn't certain
how breakbefore works, and I'm not certain that he completely
understands the \book{} and \bookparts{} input file structure either.

This has resulted in a much-needed rewrite for Notation 3 Spacing
being delayed by literally months.  I'm not kidding.

I know that tons of people here understand this stuff.  Could somebody
volunteer to help our only full-time documentation writer learn this?
A few quick emails, maybe with a few examples, can probably make all
the difference.  You don't need to know texinfo, or git, or even
lilypond-book.  Just basic lilypond knowledge.  Just making one or two
.ly files.

It's a crying shame that we've lost so much potential doc work.

Longer-term, it would be really nice if the user community was better
about supporting the doc team.  When somebody who's working on
documentation asks a question, please consider responding -- and
respond in more detail than you would normally tell a user.  Maybe we
could even revamp the old "lilypond consultants" idea: whenever a doc
writer is confused about something, they could have a few skilled
lilypond users (and knowledgeable musicians) who would explain stuff
to them, so that they could then write docs for it.

Cheers,
- Graham