Re: Lilypond with Cubase/DAW for Musical

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Lilypond with Cubase/DAW for Musical
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 06:48:06 -0400

    Phil> I do something similar using
    Phil> Noteworthy. (http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/) I notate
    Phil> using Noteworthy, export using its text format and then use a
    Phil> self-written program to convert to LilyPond.  The single piece
    Phil> of advice I would give is to try to edit the LilyPond files as
    Phil> little as possible - I almost never touch them directly - I
    Phil> put all my annotations in Noteworthy, using hidden text as a
    Phil> code to transfer to LilyPond.  That way, I have only a single
    Phil> source of data.

    Phil> I'm rather guessing this will be impossible with Cubase, but I
    Phil> think the principle is a good one.

I used to use ABC <http://abcnotation.com/> that way.  I'm finding that
the "%%LY" strings I put into my files 10 years ago are useless or
harmful now.  So I wish I'd just declared the lilypond canonical, and
dropped the ABC after conversion.

At some point, it turned out to be easier to use a MIDI keyboard to
input lilypond directly than to go through ABC, so now I rarely use ABC
except with my old stuff or when one of my ABC using friends transcribes
something.

That being said, the fact that someone modified abc2ly to break the way
*my* ABC uses clefs (ABC isn't standardized, so there are several
dialects) is a real nuisance.  This kind of change should be discussed
somewhere.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

A traveling horn virtuoso, Barry Tuckwell, was once asked about the
problem of how to practice while traveling and living in hotels. He
replied that he just turned up the TV and practiced because no one
minded the TV being loud!

quoted by RC Walsh on address@hidden