request for advice, MIDI file organization

From: Keith OHara
Subject: request for advice, MIDI file organization
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 19:56:32 -0700

Dear list,
 LilyPond produces MIDI output that is very useful for checking accuracy of the
.ly file.

(A) We need a mechanism to put several Voices on one MIDI channel, because
scores often have more than 16 voices, but a MIDI port has only 16 channels
(and I don't know anybody with a multi-port MIDI synthesizer).

LilyPond through version 2.12 assigns (by default) one channel for each Staff.
In the resulting type-1 MIDI file, there is a separate Track chunk for each
Staff.

(B) One of the LilyPond developers wants to preserve the separation between
Voices in the MIDI file.

I suggested dividing the MIDI file into a greater number of Track chunks, and putting each
Voice in its own Track.  This means that several Tracks store MIDI events for the same
channel, and there is no defined order between events in separate Tracks with the same
time-stamp.  For example, << {c' g e c} \\ {g e c c} >>  has g-note-on in the
upper voice simultaneous with the g-note-off in the lower voice; Windows Media Player
happens to cut off the upper-voice g.  This problem is probably solvable, but I don't know
how many other subtle problems there might be with several Tracks per Channel.

Is there another way to have both (A) and (B) with standard MIDI file format?