Re: Correct Figured Bass signs (slashed and crossed numbers)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Correct Figured Bass signs (slashed and crossed numbers)
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 12:43:58 -0600

On 6/9/11 5:22 AM, "Nils" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need correct baroque figured bass signs not the modern equivalents which
> Lilypond provides.
>
> For example the slashed 6 where the slash is only in the upper part or the
> slashed 4 where the slash goes vertically through the right side of the 4,
> creating a "4+".
> http://www.musiktheorie-aktuell.de/tutorials/regola/Hahn_petiteSixte.png . 6
> in the lower row, 4+ in the upper.
>
> There are other signs like this, but if anyone knows at all what I'm talking
> about he or she will surely know the rest.
>
> Anyone created such a set? If not, how can I do it on my own? (Publishers
> will)

There are multiple ways to do it.  One is to create new glyphs for the font,
using metafont.  This would probably be done by modifying the file
mf/feta-numbers.mf.

However, since bass figures can accept markups, perhaps the simplest way is
to just create a markup that does what you want, and use that for a bass
figure.

Alternatively, some new figured bass properties could be added to select the
style, instead of making new glyphs or markups.  This would require changes
to scm/translation-functions.scm (the function format-bass-figure).

Alternatively, a new figured-bass formatter procedure could be written in
Scheme, and could be used  with

#(set! figuredBassFormatter my-new-figured-bass-format-procedure).

HTH,

Carl