Re: Openoffice import?

From: Helge Hafting
Subject: Re: Openoffice import?
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:13:14 +0200

On 02. juni 2011 10:15, David Kastrup wrote:

I am currently going crazy trying to import a document with Lilypond
passages into OpenOffice.

PDF import does not work (noteheads are missing, text is shifted).  SVG
images (via pdf2svg) don't work (they appear mostly black, apparently
due to incomplete SVG support in OpenOffice).  I don't see any other
obvious option that would lead to scalable/vector graphics inside of
Openoffice.

The problem is that this is an article written using pdflatex and
lilypond-book, and the publisher (haha) asks for a DOC file.  Of course,

Ouch. that can be a lot of work. Have you tried negotiating another format with them? Some publishers accept camera-ready PDF, which pdflatex can produce. I printed a book that way.

Of course, making a camera-ready PDF is some work too - instead of them editing the book, you will have to mess with margins, tweak spacing and so on. And you'll have to correct every typo yourself instead of them just fixing it.

this would just be an intermediary for getting this into some DTP
program, so I really don't want premature bitmapping to occur.

If you do it their way, they will do all the markup and formatting in the DTP program anyway. How about removing the images entirely from the .doc? Just add placeholders called image1.pdf, image2.pdf and so on. Then provide the images separately. It will probably not be more work for them, as they will have to "tear apart" the .doc file anyway.

Helge Hafting