Re: Lilypond making my Macbook Pro run slow

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Lilypond making my Macbook Pro run slow
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 11:47:20 -0600

On 7/5/11 8:27 AM, "Nick" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm new to Lilypond and going through the tutorial right now.
> One thing I'm noticing is that whenever Lilypond is open
> (even just sitting idly in the background), my computer runs
> noticeably slower. It's a new MacBook Pro, 8 gigs of RAM.
> It can run Logic, Sibelius, many tabs of Chrome, Mail,
> etc. etc. without slowing down at all, so I'm wondering
> what Lilypond is doing that's so memory intensive and
> how I can fix it. The Lilypond I downloaded is 2.15.4. Any ideas?

I don't have any idea as to what is wrong.  But you could help us out with a
bit of troubleshooting.

First, open up Activity Monitor and see what the LilyPond app is using in
CPU, memory, etc.  Then try quitting LilyPond and see what effect that has.

Second, I'd recommend using some other editor besides the built-in LilyPond
editor.  LilyPond is fundamentally a text-based system, and very little
development work goes into the GUI apps for OSX and Windows (in fact, we may
not even be shipping LilyPad for Windows any more; I haven't followed this
carefully).  LilyPondTool for Jedit is certainly Mac compatible.  I believe
that Frescobaldi now is Mac compatible as well, but I'm not positive.

If you use an editor other than the LilyPond editor, you'll not only have
better features, but I'm certain you won't see a decrease in your system
speed.

HTH,

Carl