Page number offset and placement

From: Hilary Snaden
Subject: Page number offset and placement
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 13:12:23 +0100

Is it possible to (1) allow the page-turn-breaker to behave normally but, if the first page number is 2, decrement all of the printed page numbers by 1, (2) place the odd page numbers in the top left corner of a page and the even numbers in the top right corner? This is for a case where a part will fit onto 4 pages, but only if the page layout is LR+LR rather than R+LR+L. (I seem to have a few of these.)

I've got this far:

oddHeaderMarkup = \markup {
  \fill-line {
    \line {
      \on-the-fly #print-page-number-check-first
      \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string
    }
    \center-column { \fromproperty #'header:instrument }
    \null
evenHeaderMarkup = \markup {
  \fill-line {
    \null
    \center-column { \fromproperty #'header:instrument }
    \line {
      \on-the-fly #print-page-number-check-first
      \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string

But this adds the instrument to the header of the first page (which I don't want as it's already there) and I don't know how to decrement the page number before printing it.

--
Hilary Snaden