Re: Why can't I \override TieColumn #'tie-configuration only \once?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Why can't I \override TieColumn #'tie-configuration only \once?
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 10:37:06 +0200

Am 09.08.2011 10:32, schrieb harm6:

u_li wrote:
Am 09.08.2011 02:55, schrieb Reinhold Kainhofer:
On Di.,   9. Aug. 2011 01:34:02 CEST, David Kastrup<address@hidden>   wrote:
harm6<address@hidden>   writes:
Yes. But the Notation Reference demonstrates:

\relative c' {
<c e g>2~<c e g>
\override TieColumn #'tie-configuration =
#'((0.0 . 1) (-2.0 . 1) (-4.0 . 1))
<c e g>2~<c e g>
}
Where is your point?   It would still work after the next chord.
The example gives the impression that it needs to be set before the tie.
I would also expect this, so I would intuitively also place the
\once\override before the tie and wonder why it doesn't work.

Cheers,
Reinhold
Reinhold pointed out what I intended to illustrate.

Hi all,

thanks for the discussion.
That the end of the tie counts is quite surprising as generally one has
to place the overrides before the beginning of the item one wants to
change. From reading the NR one would never think of such a possibility.

So I'd say:
a) What is the reason for this unusual behaviour? Is there a reason to
keep it as it is or shouldn't we change this to a more consistent
behaviour?

It isn't such an unusual behaviour, because the Item to override isn't the
Tie, you apply to TieColumn.

ACK, but from the perspective of an average user (such as me) it _is_ unusual, because the item I want to change _is_ starting at the beginning of the tie. So I think it should be mentioned in the respective doc page. I'll prepare a suggestion ...
Best
Urs
b) If it is decided to keep the current behaviour (for some conceptual
reason or for sake of simplicity) this should be clearly documented.
In that case (please confirm) I'll prepare a documentation suggestion
(at the same time correcting the issue with "half spaces" mentioned by
Janek).

Best
Urs

Cheers,